May 22, 2011

The incident heard... well, in the kitchen


It's a few months removed, but I thought I relay our most exciting event so far this year--JJ's accident resulting in 5 stitches. It was a Friday morning (Jan 21st) and as such, I was home alone with the three kids. JJ and Alexis were eating breakfast in their chairs watching a Dora.. JJ announced he was done and so I took his tray over to the sink. The next thing I hear is a bang and a cry. I run over to JJ and see him laying on the floor in a pool of blood around his face... I picked him up, grabbed a towel and ran to the sink.. thinking it was his mouth. Then I notice he's clutching a spoon and it's covered in blood (actually everyone and everything is covered in blood at this point). Samantha is sitting on the floor (she couldn't crawl well back then thank heavens) and Alexis is crying by the pool of blood. I finally notice that it's coming from JJ's chin and realize he gashed his chin with his spoon as he fell from his chair and onto the tile floor. Since I'm alone, I grab a town and wrap it around his head and run him to the car. All the while trying to call someone (but of course no one is home that I try).. so I buckle him in and yell for him to hold the "bandage" and then run and get Alexis and Samantha. Mike finally calls me back as I'm driving--I had no idea where I was going. (lesson learned: know the nearest urgent care facility that takes your insurance).. so Mike looks up where our insurance is accepted and I find the urgent care facility. Then I run JJ in and set him down on a chair (at this time the bleeding had subsided somewhat--though our clothes looked rather gruesome), come back for Alexis and Samantha. Then they take us back into a room (after five pages of requisite paperwork are filled out amidst JJ whimpering, Alexis whining, and Samantha crying (she hadn't been fed yet and it was nap time)). I set Sam down on the ground (still in her infant carrier) and ask Alexis to stay put (which she doesn't). A doctor and 4 nurses/assistants come into the room with a body board and start strapping JJ to it. One lady at his head, one at his foot, one on each side and a male doctor at his head. I'm holding his hand through the mess of bodies (they had to lay over him to restrain him), rocking samantha with one foot and begging alexis to stay put (she had pushed over a stool and stuck her head up between the doctor and one of the nurses to see what was going on). The doctor injected JJ with some local (the worst part for him) and proceeded to stitch him up all the while I'm rocking Sam with my foot and Alexis is transfixed with the needle. She did start to shake and cry during the process--she kept asking why they were hurting JJ. Finally the 5 stitches were in, JJ was released from his human straightjacket, Samantha fell asleep and Alexis was too much in shock to whine. We all made it back home where I let the twins watch 6 hours straight of NickJr.

No comments: